Sunday 26 August 2012

Megadeth Live in Singapore 2012


THE BACKDROP…


I have always been skeptical about the performance of a band, especially if it is the last show of the last leg of a particular world tour. Not that there is going to be anything drastically different but I can totally empathise with the performing band's stand-point. It is but natural for the energy levels to dip after a gruelling tour for rock bands. And things aren't easy when a band is not in its youth (no offence to Mustaine and gang) and has reached a divine status through an illustrious multi-decade career, raising the bar consistently. After all Rock Gods do have limitations to their super strengths, even though ardent fans like us would like to believe otherwise.

So Megadeth, was finishing the last leg of TH1RT3EN World tour in Asia by performing in Singapore. As soon as the word spread, I was undoubtedly ecstatic and I hurried to buy my ticket. The more I stared at the ticket, the more I started thinking about this being the last concert of this tour. Would it be energetic or somewhat watered down? And this contemplation went on for weeks. I would like to believe my apprehensions were conveyed to the band founder, guitarist extraordinaire at a subconscious telepathic level, because at the concert, one of the first things he said was, "I am saving the best for the last". There it was, the perfect assurance from Mr. Mustaine.
  
But before I write about the performance, a few lines on the setting. The moment I reached the venue in my trusted rusted Rust in Peace t shirt, I felt I was onboard a ship observing two seas from different times merging into one. There were some fresh waves from a  green sea and some mellow waves from a seasoned sea. This is one of the best things to happen when you go for a concert involving a legendary band. Their sheer clout to unite old time rockers to the yuppies. There were even some characters who stood out. I can distinctly remember a bloke wearing a Metallica leather jacket  with spikes on the shoulders. But I chose to give him benefit of the doubt thinking he was in a way paying tribute to the indisputable role Mustaine played in Metallica's early fame. Anyway he sure knew how to headbang, which was evident later. Thankfully I didn't see anyone wear any pop-rock band t shirts. So Far, So Good...Shortly, Mustaine and gang burst onto the stage (Fort Canning Park is the coolest venue in Singapore to hold a rock concert) almost on time with...this I have elaborated upon  in section III.

ABOUT THAT SHOE…



There was a short break where the band went backstage during the concert. Now there are some crucial elements that make a concert memorable, sometimes good, sometimes not-so-good. But there are times when it's difficult to slot the incident into either of these two categories. When a not so good incident turns into a fun element only due to the frontmans' absolute charisma and showmanship.  So this is what transpired when the band was backstage during a short break.

Someone in the audience must have had an itchy corn on his foot, cause he ended up hurling a shoe on the empty stage. Megadeth returned for their set and I am sure the band was least flattered. I was expecting some serious stuff but Dave picked up the shoe looked at the audience and expressed his disappointment. He kind of gauged which section the shoe must have come. Staring at that section, he spat into the shoe and threw it off stage. "I hope I won't be put into a prison for spitting", he quipped. This had the audience in splits. (Mustaine sure knew a thing or two, as in Singapore, you can be arrested for spitting). Mustaine didn't lose the opportunity to berate the "show thrower", telling him to "be quiet" and asking the crowd, "Did you come here to listen to him or me???"

Now that's the way to handle a sticky (no reference to the spit) situation with class. Mustaine made the hilarious growly face and did point at the suspect and cracked a couple wise ones, much to the amusement of the audience. Dave Mustaine, my respect for you went up one notch high!

HOW IT ALL BEGAN AND EVERYTHING ELSE...



This being Megadeth's second performance in Singapore, the first time being in 2007, Mustaine surely had gauged the pulse of the audience by this time.

Megadeth exploded onstage with Never Dead, with Mustaine confidently sporting a white shirt and his signature all black Dean VHMT.. The riff when heard live is surely " violent and in your face," as Bassist Dave Ellefson had put it in an earlier interview. This was followed by Head Crusher, the performance of which was clearly an indication of the crushing things to come.

Hangar 18 was next up which truly transported me back to my college years as it’s from my favourite 1990 album Rust In Peace. Hanger 18 has some of the best solos in history. Period. The live performance was awesome with the guitar dueling and solid drumming by Shawn Drover. Marty, we missed you but Chris Broderick did some commendable job.


This was followed by Trust and She-Wolf from the 1997 Cryptic Writings album. Then we were back in 1990 when two songs - Dawn Patrol and Poison Was the Cure from Rust In Peace were played.

When Mustaine asked the crowd if they could speak in French, there were no prizes for guessing what was coming up.  "à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime, je dois partir" filled the park as everyone sang À Tout le Monde.

Angry Again, a fan favourite was played with much gusto. Then we went into the TH1RT3EN mode with Whose Life (Is It Anyways?) and Public Enemy No. 1, which I had been patiently listening for almost a year when it was released in September 2011. I was truly and eagerly waiting for a live version. I wasn't disappointed. But I have to confess that the music video is too cool and I could just think of it.

Thereafter, another fan favourite, Symphony of Destruction, which drove the fans into a complete state of frenzy.The chant of MEGADETH…MEGADETH…in between the killer riffs of Symphony of Destruction is still buzzing in my head. The Mosh Pit was in full overdrive. The usual trait of head bangers making sure that everyone around them is their best friend was naturally ubiquitous.
  
After "Symphony" was over, the all-familiar bass riff to "Peace Sells" pierced through the park ambience and a surge of electric energy buzzed through the audience. Midway through the song, we were graced with the presence of the band's mascot, Vic Rattlehead. Surely not letting us down, Vic looked mega-suave and pointed at all of us. 




The band returned onstage for an encore to play Holy Wars medley with In My Darkest Hour, The Punishment Due was terrific. I sure wish they had played Tornado Of Souls.



So the legends performed a 14-song set to the delight of thousands of screaming metal fans, including yours truly.

I personally  would have liked at least fifteen more minutes of play. But then again, I would have liked even those fifteen minutes to go on for another fifty minutes.

Mr. Mustaine, you sure lived upto your promise. Megadeth saved the best for the last!

2 comments:

  1. Great write-up! Looking forward to more reviews and posts from you! Very insightful indeed!

    - MSK (MrStyleKing.blogspot.sg)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good review! I liked it very much

    ReplyDelete